This holiday season, the Chamber of Commerce of the Mastics & Shirley will hold its 1st Annual Light Pole Decorating Contest along Montauk Highway. We invite all interested local businesses, organizations, or community members to join us and sign up for the contest. The contest is free to enter, you only need to provide the decoration supplies. The light pole will help dress up our community for a festive atmosphere.
- Decoration begins Saturday December 12, 2020
- Decorations must be completed by December 18th. If your entry needs to be spruced up for the contest, you may do so by 3pm on December 19th.
- Judging for the contest will take place on December 19, 2020 and the winner will be announced by December 21, 2020. Judging criteria will include (A) Unique Design (B) Storyline/Theme (C) Overall presentation
- All decorations must be taken down the week of January 4th, 2020. Any remaining after January 9th will be removed and jeopardize any future entry into the contest.
We ask that you follow a few simple rules:
- If you would like to enter the contest or want further information, please contact April Coppola at or call (631)241-9804. Light poles in the contest are limited and will be assigned on a first come first serve basis. If you are a business and have a light pole outside your business and it’s an assigned pole, you will have first choice for that pole.
- Only the Chamber will provide your pole number.
- Decorations must have a holiday theme
- Please use zip ties, string, twine, or thin wire to secure your decorations to the pole. Do not use tape as it will not hold in cold temperatures.
- Decorations must be able to withstand strong winds and unpredictable weather conditions.
- Decorations should not block the sidewalks or street traffic in any way.
- Decorations should be no more than 5 feet and you cannot use any electric off the poles.
- Please do not cover any signage (e.g. parking signs) on the poles.
- Contestants are responsible for providing decorations and maintaining decorations.
- If your decoration falls apart or are damaged, the Chamber will make an effort to contact you with the information.